The Dollar Tree is a popular spot for frugal moms and budget enthusiasts! The store offers a wide variety of items that were traditionally just $1. But is everything at the Dollar Tree really a dollar anymore? Unfortunately not.
Current Dollar Tree Prices are $1.25
As of 2022, the Dollar Tree raised prices in all stores to $1.25. They began phasing this into certain stores in 2021, then rolled it out to the remaining stores in 2022.
This is an increase from the previous price of $1.00. The company stated that this change is necessary in order to maintain competitiveness and provide the best possible value for customers.
Some customers are unhappy with the news, but the Dollar Tree has emphasized that it remains committed to providing low-cost merchandise and services.
The One Exception: Reduced Merchandise
Dollar Tree has always been a great place to find affordable merchandise, but if you happen to catch a bin of reduced priced items, you can really score a great deal.
Typically, they reduce items that are about to expire or are going out of season. For example, last week they had an entire shopping cart full of reduced price bags of chips that were about a week away from expiring. The price? Just 25 cents!
I also spotted some great nail polish at another location that was reduced to 50 cents.
Typical reduced priced merchandise at Dollar Tree will range from 25 cents to 50 cents. Check your store to see if there’s a bin or cart with any such items next time you visit.
Shopping Tips for Dollar Tree
Now that (almost) everything carries that $1.25 price tag, you might want to be a little selective in what you’re purchasing at the store. Here are a few tips:
- Keep in mind not all of the items in the store are going to be high quality. For example, I’ve had some issues with certain picture frames breaking easily, and certain beauty products being lower quality. But other items have held up so well!
- If you’re looking for name brand items, you’re probably not going to find most of them at the Dollar Tree. However, sometimes brand name products that are discontinued or rebranding will end up at Dollar Tree and they can be amazing deals. For example, in the summer of 2022 they carried KIND brand pints of ice cream which were incredibly delicious (and normally $5ish per pint!). I like to browse the store frequently to catch these deals.
- The selection can be hit or miss. Each store doesn’t carry every brand or every product. That means you may not find what you’re looking for at one store, but it might be worth checking another if you’ve got multiple closeby.
- Remember that just because a product is at Dollar Tree, doesn’t mean it’s the best deal. For example, many canned vegetables are $1.25 at Dollar Tree, but might only as low as $0.75 at low-cost grocery stores. If you have the ability to comparison shop, that can be helpful. (That said, I know some people rely on Dollar Tree for groceries, so I’ve put together a helpful Dollar Tree meal plan for you).
- Dollar Tree doesn’t offer returns, but (at the time of publish) they will offer an exchange with a receipt. As such, if you buy an item and regret it, you can bring it back unopened to exchange for something else.
The Bottom Line
All in all, the Dollar Tree is a great place to shop for certain items if you’re on a budget. For example, there are some awesome Dollar Tree stocking stuffers, and you can also find some great cheap foods available there.
Just keep in mind that the prices are actually $1.25, and some of the other items you may find might not be the best quality. But if you’re willing to search carefully, you’re sure to find some great deals there.
Share: What do you like to buy at the Dollar Tree? Do you find the prices are worth it?